DIY Party Favor: Pom Pom Pencils

Have you tried making pom poms? A few years ago I went through a pom pom making craze and made ton of them. They are so fun and fast and colorful. Once you learn how to make them with out any tools but your hands and a pair of scissors you won't be able to stop making them. They are great fun to make with friends as a summer boredom buster. Here is a fun idea of what to do with all those pom poms you can't stop making. Put them on a pencil! 

DIY Pom Pom Pencils: Perfect Party Favors



These pencils are great as party favors, teachers gifts, etc. I used them as favors at a Journaling night that I was in charge of at my church at the time.   I used that night as a fun excuse to make more pom poms of course.  I was originally inspired by these cute Anthropologie pom pom pencils I pinned on my Pom Pom Love page...

Photo: Anthropologie.com
I simplified them a bit and used washi tape instead of wrapping the yarn around the pencil.  Anyone know where you can buy shiny gold yarn? I might need to buy some of that.

How to make a Pom Pom Pencil

Of course these are really so very easy to make you may not need the tutorial but I'll show you how I did it to save you a little thinking time.

 1. First wrap washi tape halfway down a pencil.





2. Next make the pom poms.


  Here's the fastest way I've found to make these little guys.  Just take some yarn and wrap it around 2 fingers until it's nice and thick.

Use the tip of your scissors to grasp a separate length of yarn and thread it between your fingers.

 Tie the yarn around the center.  I find that if I wrap my thread around twice when I'm making my first knot it will hold better when I cinch it.

  Slide your fingers out and cinch your knot tight and tie a double knot.  Then cut the loops.

...and trim your unruly pom pom to the right size.

You can roll it in your hands a bit to fluff it up. 

3. Glue the pom pom to the pencil.

Add a dab of hot glue to the center of the pom pom and stick it to the top of your pencil....


and you've made one cute pom pom pencil.

I made 12 in about an hour, pom poms and all. Hope this way helpful If you make some I'd love to see them! Tag me on instagram @bluesusanmakes so I can see. 

Happy Making! 

#pompompencil #pompomtutorial #diypompom #putapompomonit
   

2 comments:

  1. Clever favor idea!

    I think that the anthropologie picture uses metallic gold embroidery floss. Or, at least, that would work too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yess!! I think you are right!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete