St. Patrick's Day Duds

  When I realized St. Patrick's day was on a Sunday I thought I'd seize the opportunity and have a little fun sewing up some matchy matchy green for us to wear.   It has been a few years since our last holiday matching adventure.  Everyone was game, even Mer wanted a matching skirt in the end.   I don't think Mer and I have ever coordinated outfits in our lives.


My kids aren't too fond of having their pictures taken.  Thankfully we got a few shots right before church.  Thank you Caroline!

I've been feeling lately that my kids are growing up way too fast.  Like we are not too far away from the days when they won't want anything to do with wearing a handmade item.


I sewed this all up in 6 1/2 hours from Saturday evening to Sunday morning.  I felt a little like I was on Project Runway.  Especially when I was sewing the skirt for Mer.  I didn't have a pattern, and it was the last to be sewn.  She decided at the last minute that her previous green plans wouldn't work and that she indeed would like a matching skirt.  Thankfully I had just enough material.  I sewed on the waistband three different times. I was so worried it wasn't going to work out.   But it did!


It is a simple straight skirt. This fabric is way too light weight for a this type of skirt but I only realized too late that I should have lined it.  I curved the waistline a little so it would fit nicely and added a side zipper.


I decided to add a facing to the existing waistline instead of adding a waistband to the skirt.  I really like how it turned out and will do this again the next time I make this kind of skirt for me.


The ties were the fastest.  I tried a new tutorial from FishSticks Design.  It was very slick and easy with machine sewing only.  I made two of size 5-8 and the 8-10 size. I really like how they turned out.  They are nice and substantial and are sewn with two layers of quilter's cotton and no interfacing. I will definitely use this tutorial again.

For my skirt I used the DIY Chevron Skirt tutorial from the Crafty Cupboard .  It took just under 2 hrs to sew.  If you are going to sew this one make sure you read through the comment section in the post for some tips and cutting measurement corrections and it will turn out great.  I will add some side darts to the waist band to make it fit better before I wear it again.

Here are the links to the fabrics I used:  Large Tone on Tone Chevron by Riley Blake and Green Houndstooth by Freespirit


Well that was a fun sewing adventure!  I think we look like we are ready to go to a wedding.  Anyone planning on using these colors?  :)


Linking this up to these lovely sites Sew Much Ado, Rae Gun Ramblings, The Train to Crazy.

4 comments:

  1. Cute! Love the blue shoes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. visiting from sew much ado - this is great. My kids would never do the matching thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from sew much ado... this is such a cute photo!! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything, Sarah! You look perfect for St. Patrick's Day . . . or a blue and green wedding. (Thank you using and linking to my tie tutorial!)

    ReplyDelete