Thursday, October 11, 2012

Little Hulk Costume - Mini Tutorial

I Love Halloween!  We are so excited that it is almost here.  Mostly what I love about Halloween is the challenge of making my kid's Halloween Costumes.  This weekend I had a little extra time on my hands so I figured out how to make a simple Hulk costume, complete with muscles.


I know, I could have just gone out and bought one with way more fancy muscles but where's the fun in that?  Plus I wanted him to have another dress up that was comfortable and fun to play in. I think I hit the spot.  He played in it all afternoon today and wouldn't take it off at bedtime.


I have been kicking around this muscle idea since last year when one of the boys wanted to be Captain America with muscles.  I did just buy that costume, cause I didn't quite have it in me then. Of course now that I've made a muscle shirt, I can see all kinds of things I could do to improve it.


I added batting to the front and sleeves to create the muscles.  I left the back a single layer, after all we live in Florida and it is hot enough with out wearing a little quilt around.


Here's a glimpse of the chest.  I made a little quilt sandwich, drew on the muscles, then quilted it.

I used a double layer of batting and then added a triple layer for the chest and upper arms.


I used one of his shirts to make the pattern. Thankfully it sewed together, nicely.

Have you seen Picmonkey's new spooky edits?  I couldn't resist trying them out. Of course we'll paint his skin green for the big night.


Love you Little Hulk


To see how I quickly added some green legs to this costume on Halloween night, click on over to this Halloween wrap up post.


10 comments:

  1. Lu Lu looks awesome! Sweet costume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome costume ... and Super Cute model! Love It :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is WAY too cute! I'm a sucker for Hulk. Our daughter {yes daughter!} has earned that nickname at the age of 18 months {she likes to move and lift large and heavy objects} :) I am planning to feature this adorable costume next week! In addition to features from my Throwback Thursday party, I'm going to do a separate post with Halloween costume features from the party. Wahoo! And thanks for linking up to Throwback Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this costume. So creative. I would love for you to link it up to Masquerade Ball costume contest. It ends tomorrow. Hope to see you there.

    http://bit.ly/TMrFhG
    Adrienne
    www.freetimefrolics.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute idea! He is adorable! I hope you will link this up to The CSI Project starting tonight. The challenge is DIY Halloween Costumes. You just might win!!!!

    www.thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post just saved my tush!! I am a pretty accomplished seamstress but for some reason muscle making had me stumped and procrastinating. I guess I better get sewing. No more excuses.Thanks for posting!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! how cute is he! He really plays the part. Great job! Saw you on create. craft. love. Congrats on the feature! http://www.craftinterrupted.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the best muscle tutorial ever! I wasn't looking forward to trying the other tutorials I've seen but this seems doable and I think it looks better. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete