How to Recover a Piano Bench

I've come to the realization that one of the biggest reasons I love sewing is that I love fabric.  I LOVE FABRIC!  I am always thinking up ways to cover my world in beautiful fabric.  I know I'm a little crazy but I can be crazy on my blog right? My piano bench is a perfect place to put the fabric I love.

My piano is in the middle of my living room and I get to see it everyday.  We recently repainted the inside of our house and now that the walls are pristine, I kind of feel like everything else should be too.  Which meant it was time for a piano bench update.



I've been eyeing the Ellen Luckett Baker's Stamped Collection since it came out.  I thought this was the perfect occasion for buying some.  I found this at Stash Modern Fabric. Love that shop!

So here's a little "how to" on how I recovered my piano bench.

You'll need:
Staple Gun
1/2 yard of decorator weight fabric
glue gun
ribbon or other trim

1. Unscrew the top and removed the old covering. I would leave the original upholstery on unless you are planning on replacing the foam as well. Lay the top down on the fabric and cut around it allowing enough fabric to fold over the edge. Make note of where the screw holes are because you are going to have to be able to find them again later.


2. Start by stapling the center of each side.  Pull the fabric tight as you staple. Continue to staple along each side starting at the center and pulling over and out as you go.

3. To make a nice folded corner like this one...


... fold the corner up, over, and down.

4. Using a glue gun, glue ribbon on the inside to cover up the raw edge. And screw the top back onto the bench.  It might be necessary to poke a small hole in the fabric/ribbon to get the screw in.


Now enjoy your lovely new piano bench!!

Hooray for a quick summer project!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely, but I would like to add an elastic to the material instead of removing the bench top. How to? Thanks, Elizbeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth! If you want to add elastic for a removeable cover I would cut the the fabric about 1/2 inch bigger than the tutorial shows. Also trim the corners so they are rounded. Zig zag the raw edge to prevent it from fraying. Fold the edge toward the wrong side 1/2 inch and sew to make a casing for the elastic to go through. Leave a 2 inch opening. Thread the elastic through. Stitch the elastic together and then sew the opening closed. Hope that helps. Xoxo Sarah

      Delete