Monday, September 15, 2014

Sewing Saves the Day: Football Jersey Fix

Hi there Today I'm kicking off a new sewing series on my blog. It's called Sewing Saves the Day! One of my favorite things about sewing is that I can use it to fix problems, make my kids dreams come true, and just make my life easier in general. Mostly I feel like these practical projects aren't very blog worthy topics because I may not use pretty fabric or the finished results aren't very visually interesting. But there are so many times when sewing really does save the day.  So I'm going to start sharing them. For my first practical project I want to share a football jersey fix.

Since the word on the street is that I know how to sew, I frequently have people ask me if I can help them out by sewing something for them. I don't always say yes but when really the only way for them to fix a problem is with a sewing machine, I have a hard time saying no.  For instance my neighbor came by with his son's Football practice jersey that just wasn't big enough for the poor little guy to get his arms in.  He was already in the biggest uniform available so we brainstormed a little on what we could do fix this. My lawn edger broke a couple of weeks ago and I'm trying to sell my house so he's going to edge for me for a couple of weeks and I'm going to fix his son's uniform. Win Win, right?

I ended up adding a 3" stretchy panel at each side seam and I think it turned out great so today I'm showing you how I did it. First I unpicked the hems on the sleeve and the bottom edge.


Then, instead of unpicking the whole side seam I just cut off the serged edge. It saved a ton of time.


We picked up some performance stretch spandex and I cut a 3 inch strip that was a little longer than the side seam. I serged along one end.

Then, with right sides together I sewed it on to each side seam aligning the serged end with the unhemmed edge of the sleeve.

 At the bottom, I just cut off the excess and serged along that end as well.


Then all that was left to do was hem the sleeve and bottom again. I used a double needle on my regular sewing machine.to do that. I also experimented with using the "Wooly" nylon in the bobbin. Its a fuzzy thread that's slightly stretchy. This brand calls it Bulky nylon.

Hopefully the stitches won't pull out as easily when the hem gets stretched.

And there you have it.  A pretty quick fix and now he can easily get it on and off.

I love it when sewing saves the day!!

5 comments: