I just sort of made it up and it's not put together the correct way, it's put together the fast way. :) I'm sure there are a ton of tutorials out there.
Here's a mini description of how I made it...
- Use the width of the fabric off the bolt (about 44") and cut it to the desired finished skirt length (minus 1 inch).
- Cut a 5'' strip of another fabric, folded it in half and sewed it to the bottom of the skirt. Finish the edges with a zig-zag or serger.
- Press the folded band down and topstitch along the seam. No hemming on this skirt!!
- Sew the short ends together. Finish that seam too! Press it to one side and use your sewing machine to tack (sew back and forth for about 3 stitches) the seam down at the bottom of the hem so it stays folded over.
- Make a casing in the top a little bigger than the width of your elastic. How? Press the top edge over 1/4 inch and then fold it over again and press. I made my casing 1 inch wide and used a 1/2 inch elastic to thread through it. Stitch the casing leaving an opening in the back to thread the elastic through.
- Stitch around the top too, so it looks cute when she tucks in a shirt.
- Thread your elastic through. Stitch it together. Sew the opening closed with a little tag or ribbon so she'll know which side is the back
Quick and cute!