Mom's Handbag

This post is dedicated to my sister Rachel who in a multitude of ways made this post and project possible. I sometimes jokingly call her "my secretary" because she is just so good at attending to all the details and making things happen.  I wish she lived closer. Love you sis!

Today I get to show you the purse I made for my mom for Christmas.  I delivered it to her "not quite finished" in January when we went for a visit and then I sewed on the handles the night before we came home.  My sister was gracious enough to take about a million pictures for me and send them my way especially for this post. Thank you Rachel!

A little history: My mom has carried around a purse for years that she has loved.  Her favorite part about it was the outside side pockets and has never been able to find one like it to replace it.  My sweet sister made about a million measurements and sent pictures of Mom's existing purse and I attempted to make an exact replica, and it worked!

As you might be able to tell I am pretty excited about this project. I learned A LOT of things while making it. I figured out how to build in exterior pockets, stitch on exterior handles, add a zipper to the top (after making the body, oops!),  and make a set in vinyl bottom (complete with top stitching down the sides, woohoo!).

I was most exciting about how the bottom turned out.  This type of construction has puzzled me for years.


I also had fun adding some of the new AMH Rennaisance ribbons I ordered.  Had I planned better I think it would have been cute to add ribbon to the handles as well, I just didn't have a enough for it all.  I love how all of Anna Maria's stuff coordinates so well together.

The interior looks like this... a double pocket on one side and a zippered pocket on the other.

And that's a wrap!  Hope you like it Mom!

5 comments:

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous! The fabric look great together and I love how it is made to match what your mum likes! How did you get the bottom to work like that? It looks really professional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sarah, amazing! Your work gets more and more precise! You are a very talented artist! Thanks for sharing!! You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome bag! Your mom must have been thrilled

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awsome job Sarah! You've done a great job with the bottom and the fabrics you chose look gorgeous!
    Christine
    - ChrisW Designs

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great shaped bag!!! No wonder your Mum didn't want to give up her old one. The side pockets look fabulous, as well as being totally practical.

    ReplyDelete