Monday, April 30, 2012

Kickin' Back... Shorts.

I finished the pair of shorts I was working on for KCWC.

Originally they were going to be pants for Lu but neither of us liked the placement of the pockets. So before I hemmed them up I chopped them off and turned them into shorts for Jack.  The pattern is very generous in width so they easily fit Jack. (even though I cut size 2/3 for the waist)


Jack loves them and says they are so comfortable. The pattern came from Sewing for Boys (catching up on the sew along I'm neglecting) I used the Kickin' Back Sweats pattern but I experimented a little with the pockets.  I added bias tape to the top of the pockets for contrast and put them in a different place than the pattern suggests.


I had to get a little tricky when I hemmed them since the pockets were already added and were in the way.  To hem them I just started and stopped at the sides of the pocket and tacked the hem by hand on the inside under the pocket.  I don't know what kind of fabric I used but I would describe it as a light weight seer sucker type with a little stretch.

So today is the last day for the sewing challenge and I have one more pair of pants almost finished. They are a little labor intensive but I'm close and can't wait to see how they turn out.
With this week's kid clothes challenge I have learned that I don't actually have an hour to devote to sewing everyday.  But the days I did pull it off were so very productive. I need to shoot for an hour a day every week. It is so fun.

And now I'm off to bed.  Good Night!

1 comment:

  1. I like where you ended up placing the pockets! The shorts look great!

    ReplyDelete