My Shirt Dress Make-over

Every time Sunday rolls around I find myself wanting something new to wear.  So last night I forced myself off the couch and gave my Shirt Dress a little make over, while watching a few episodes of the Office of course.   I love this dress but I've only worn it a few times because every time I wear it, it feels a tad too short, especially with kids getting on and off my lap all day.  So I thought I'd give it a little "makeover".

before

after

 I added a little length with a pop of color and a nice new waist tie to go with it. It turned out just how I imagined.  I love it when things turn out exactly as planned?


Please excuse the wrinkles from the day.

Maybe you have a shirt dress that needs a little spicing up?  
Want to see how I added the extra length? 


First, I cut a 6 inch strip and made it long enough to fit the bottom of the dress.  I folded it in half lengthways with right sides together and sewed up the short sides.  I then turned it right side out, pressed it, and serged the raw edge.



Then I pinned it to the skirt hem so it was about 2 1/2 inches away from the bottom and topstitched right along the existing stitch line.

  
 For the tie I cut a 5 inch strip using the length of the existing tie as my pattern.  It turned out to be about 2 inches finished.


 It was so nice to have something new to wear today.

Happy Sewing!

4 comments:

  1. Sweet fix Sarah! I love the coordinating belt. I have a shirt dress, and I think a cute colorful belt could really spice it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So stinkin' cute Sarah! And I agree with Laurel....nice calves! :)

    ReplyDelete