Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Adventures in Lunch bag making.

Meredith wanted a new school lunch box and found one that she liked at Walmart, it was like a little purse. I have some cute red oilcloth with white and pink flowers on it that got about 10 years ago and have been trying to figure out what to do with it.  I thought it would make such a cute lunch box liner and so I seized my chance and convinced her to let me make her one.  In hindsight I should have just purchased the $7 generic lunch bag.  Though it turned out cute, I'm sooooo glad to be done with this project.

 I had to unpick various parts of it several times, put in a bad zipper that had to be changed out, etc...etc.

Wheres the cute red oilcloth you may ask?  Unfortunately I forgot that Mer is not into pinks and reds currently, she wants things to be blues and greens. So because we could not find anything with blues and greens that looked satisfactory with the oilcloth we already had, I had to come up with another solution. I ended up applying iron on vinyl to this tiny blue polk a dot fabric to make it water resistant on the inside. Since it is only sold by the roll in my town, now I have a ton of iron on vinyl that I've got to figure out what to do with... any ideas?

I should look on the bright side, I did learn a few things.

I learned how to make a little accordion pocket like this...

I learned that I never want to use fusible heavyweight interfacing with quilt weight cotton fabrics. I fused it to the outside layer of the bag and it just makes the fabric look all creased and crinkly when it gets bent. Which means in only looks good when it has been freshly ironed,  This bag will not stay nice looking for long. Sigh!!

Good thing Mer loves it.

Sewing is always an adventure, good or bad. It's what keeps me coming back for more.

2 comments:

  1. It turned out really cute! My mom swears by that iron on vinyl. She uses it for crazy things-like to make the inside of a fabric bowl easier to clean.

    ReplyDelete