Recycled Jeans Backpack


January is my month for finishing past due projects. Yesterday I finished up a back pack for one of Meredith's good friends at school. She loved Mer's backpack and while she was over playing one day I had her pick out some fabric from my stash to make one for her with. It's a beautiful old print by Polynesian Textiles (thanks, mom, for the fabric). I love this back pack pattern. My mom showed me how to make one when I was in college, and I made a couple of different ones to use then. It uses up almost a whole pair of old jeans plus some fabric, of course. So here's what it looks like.

The flap secures with an elastic loop and button. Under the flap is a drawstring closure.
It has adjustable straps. There a pocket on each side, this one has a flap closure.
This one is stitched up the middle to hold pencils.
My favorite part is the inside where you use the front of the jeans to make a big pocket, and the little pocket is already ready to go.
You can do a number of variations for the pockets. On Mer's we did an outside pocket on the front as well. On one of my old one's I used one of the back pockets from the jeans for the side pouch and put a zipper on it to close it up.One more project down!! I purchased fabric for my kitchen valences a couple of days ago and will be starting those soon.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a tutorial for this? I need one! This is exactly what I am looking for to make for my Momma. She's still using my old backpack purse from the early 90s!!!

    Thanks!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete